It is a lovely day today in London but what a struggle to get here yesterday! After my truly wonderful week in Odense, brilliantly organised, delightful people, calm and unhurried, I came down to earth with a bang!
First my SAS flight to London was cancelled. They then assumed that it would be just fine to rebook me on a 7:30 am flight this morning. Fortunately I was being handled by a super star customer service person who agreed that this was unacceptable. If only he knew what I then went through! The solution of flying on Lufthansa through Frankfurt seemed reasonable enough. What then followed was an historic catalogue of ineptitude, lies, and rudeness! It is not a good idea to fly economy on Lufthansa. This company employs world champion patronising little officials in uniforms.
1. We could not board the flight to Amsterdam because the wheelchair had not arrived to take a disabled passenger off the incoming flight until one hour after that flight arrived!
2. We were informed that the reason for the flight delay was weather - we knew better!
3. Transferring from the arrival gate to the departure gate was a marathon hike. And passport control out of Germany into this non-Schengen country is a laborious, understaffed, and over zealous, therefore time consuming procedure.
4. The Frankfurst London flight departed 90 minutes late - weather was the explanation again - no one believed it!
5. My carry on, which has been with me unquestioned for a good 2500,000 miles during the last three years, including on the previous flight from Copenhagen to Frankfurt of course, was suddenly deemed to be too large! And the miserable little creature who dealt with this issue might need some education in manners in addition to good customer practice.........
I ended up four and a half hours late. Well many people, including me, have experienced worse on premium airlines that are their countries standard bearers - but almost always with good honest explanations and courteous helpful airline staff.
But Lufthansa will definitely not be seeing me sometime soon, if ever.
Apart from that dear readers I am feeling invigorated and happy after my week in Denmark and looking forward to being back there next year. And this week my first operatic excitement will be Othello at ENO. That will be on Thursday.